The UK banned handguns in 1997. The ban on ownership of handguns was introduced in 1997 as a result of the Dunblane massacre, when Thomas Hamilton opened fire at a primary school leaving 16 children and their teacher dead. Sounds eerily familiar doesn’t it.
The last estimate I saw on cia world fact book (which granted … was a few years back) was 6 million illegal handguns in the UK. Contrary to what you read in Wikipedia (or hear in the American drive-by media), BBC reported that, “A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.”
Research, commissioned by the Countryside Alliance‘s Campaign for Shooting, concluded that the UK’s existing gun laws merely targeted legitimate users of firearms … and did nothing to prevent criminals from accessing and using guns for illegal purposes.
The Centre for Defence Studies at Kings College in London, which carried out its own research, said the number of crimes in which a handgun was reported increased from 2,648 in 1997/98 to 3,685 in 1999/2000. These are facts and numbers … not emotion-based arguments.
Real numbers show that American states and cities that issue concealed carry permits see a real drop in violent crime; while gun-free zones merely provide good hunting grounds for sociopathic killers. Connecticut already had draconian gun laws in place … have you tried to legally own a gun in Connecticut.
The argument for gun control is based on emotions … fear; and labeling … and then demonizing an inanimate object all the while ignoring the real problem; the deplorable state of morality in America and the refusal of society to hold individuals accountable for their own actions. The argument against stricter gun laws is based on real numbers and historical evidence.
Part of the problem is that too many people get their ” facts” from the liberal mass media, and so they only hear the demonizing. Yes, this horrifying incident in Connecticut was tragic beyond belief. But many facts about the circumstances of the case are not being discussed. Instead, we have liberals screaming for more restrictions and gun bans … and disarming law-abiding, honest Americans. In reality, if they succeed, they will only succeed in creating more potential victims and will not impact criminals in the least!
By definition … criminals do not obey laws.
- Lobbyist holds his ground as Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence releases plea from parent of Sandy Hook survivor (steppaz1961.wordpress.com)
- School Massacres Fraud or Hoax? Politicians,Push Gun Legislation ban to protect themselves. (antinewworldorderparty.wordpress.com)
- A Common Sense Approach On Gun Control (tjtherien.wordpress.com)
- Mass Pike ‘Gun Control’ Billboard Adds Representation Of Newtown Victims (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Is the NRA push for guns in schools crazy? It depends on where you live. (csmonitor.com)
- The great gun control fallacy | Thomas Sowell (guardian.co.uk)
- Schertz gun shop offers free handgun courses to educators (kens5.com)